martes, 24 de mayo de 2011

Clipperton

I like read, so I have many books that I like. But I prefer to talk about a book of my area, the journalism. Exist a genre that is a mixture between literature and journalism and is from America, and their name is “New journalism”.
We can find authors such as Tom Wolfe, Truman Capote, Gabriel Garcia Márquez, and Ryszard Kapuściński, among others.
But I will to talk about the book called “La Isla de la Pasión”, writing by Laura Restrepo, a colombian journalist that write books of New Journalism, that narrate a true story with elements of fiction.
I bought this book like a photocopy in my University, to the class called “Redaction”, where I knew the “new journalism” that I like very much.
This book is about the island Clipperton that is a French possession localized near Mexico. The plot of this book is about a little group of French settlers that was sent at Clipperton for the authority of France to claim dominion over the island, at the start to the last century.
With the time, the island and the people settlers that live there was forgotten for every people, for the French and their enemies Americans. The French settlers began dying for diseases, for hanger and murdered for a man who had gone mad. The couple of man that gives protection to the women of the island, died for hallucinates with a boat of recue.
Of the hundred people that lived in Clipperton almost all died, and contradictory the survivors (eleven people) were recuing for the U. S. Marines.
The interesting of this book is the investigation that is back this story, because before of this book the island was forgotten, and the information that appears in “La isla de la pasion” is the result of a depth journalism research, between letters and documents. Highly recommended.


2 comentarios:

  1. I love to read too ...
    its a extraordinary way of practise the imagination ... :)
    see you the next week!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. a quite interesting book, I had no idea about this story, thanks for the recommendation...

    ResponderEliminar